Thursday, December 13, 2007

Surprise Surprise.

I've been avoiding blogging about this, mostly because I'm so frustrated that I can't quite put in to words what I'm feeling. When Xaelen was born, over 19 months ago, I had a c-section. It was unplanned and unwanted and had a very unpleasant and painful recovery from it to boot. I did not want to be cut. I wanted to labor on a birth ball, I wanted to labor with the scent of lavender oil in my nostrils, I wanted to labor as I listened to peaceful music, I wanted to push that little life out of me - the way that women have been doing for millennium. It didn't happen. Ok.

It took months to mostly accept things as they were. The one thing that really kept me going was the promise from my OBGYN that we can try again and next time we could try for a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). She told me that as long as I go in to labor myself (no intervention, no induction, no augmentation) that we would just see what happens and entertain the idea of a VBAC.

Now let's fast-forward to my 1st prenatal appointment with this new pregnancy. After a mostly routine appointment, I am getting my bag of goodies that all pregnant women receive when visiting their doctors and the doctor casually says "Oh, by the way, you are aware of our new policy?" Hmm... Policy? What Policy? "Well, we made a collective decision here in our practice that we will automatically schedule everyone who's had a c-section for a RCS (Repeat Cesarean Section)" WHA?!?! Are you kidding me? "No exceptions?", I ask? "No, I'm sorry" is the response.

Oh. My. God. All those thoughts of feeling broken by the last c-section came as a wave over me again. I'm tainted. No birthing center will take me. My own OBGYN who was supposed to be VBAC friendly, won't take me. What am I to do?

Well, what to do indeed. For starters, I'm empowering myself with knowledge. First thing on my list of empowerment, I am attending an ICAN (http://ican-online.net/) meeting here in San Diego. I am researching who else in this city will allow for a VBAC. I have joined a bunch of online groups that address VBACs. I will not have surgery pushed on me without first seeing what my body can and will do. I will keep an open mind. I will keep my body healthy and strong in order to prepare for this. I will hire a doula. I will consult with a midwife. I can do this.

Ok. Enough of that soapbox.

Let me add to all this, during my 1st prenatal visit, the ultrasound showed a small amount of bleeding where the placenta is/will be. This is called a subchorionic hemorrhage. I'm hoping/praying that this will be reabsorbed by my body in the coming weeks. As a precaution, they are doing another ultrasound next week to see if the bleeding has stopped, shrank or expanded. I'm hoping the hemorrhage is gone. Please hope the same for me?

4 comments:

LauraC said...

Wow, that is bad news about the VBAC but you sound so empowered and ready to have the birth you want. It CAN be done and it sounds like you know how to get the appropriate resources to make it happen. I would hate to have another c-section just to avoid litigation!!!

Thought I would pass along this:
http://blog.rookiemoms.com/vbac-i-consent-to-let-this-baby-come-out/ (she did have a successful VBAC!).

I'll pray your u/s goes well.

Kara said...

I'm glad you aren't just accepting their rules and getting your own information and finding a vbac supportive dr or midwife :) You can do it! Good luck to you!

Jen @ VBACFacts.com said...

Fight for that VBAC! I had a home VBAC three weeks ago and it was awesome! I could not imagine facing a forced RCS. You can read my birth story at vbacfacts.com. Best of luck!!

Laureen said...

Found your blog by way of Google Alerts, which I monitor for VBAC stuff...

Anyway.. you GO! You fight! The idea that RCS is in any way acceptable is just insane and ridiculous and... UGH!

It's hard to fight this fight when you're pregnant, and already in a sensitive place. Best of luck to you... can't wait to read the story as it unfolds...

Oh, and if it helps...my fight to VBAC story lives on www.theexcellentadventure.com/birth

My little family

My little family
Mama bear, Papa bear & Xaelen bear

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
I'm gLobey, also known as Rita, also known as Mama. I'm a married mother of two awesome boys named Xaelen (age 3) and Quillan (9 months). They are super cute! My other half is Adazm, he's quite cute too.

My Blog List