Thursday, June 5, 2008

Vent

I think I really need to get my thoughts off my mind and on to (virtual) paper.

It's been a very busy last few weeks.

1) We started Hypnobirthing classes
2) Been visiting the chiropracter twice a week
3) My OB every 2 weeks (soon to be weekly)
4) Working 40 hours a week
5) Still trying to convince X that he can sleep by himself... in his own bed...
without Mommy and Daddy... it's still a work in progress.
6) Setting up all the baby gear - crib, clothes, stroller, car seat...
7) We've been gone almost every weekend due to various weddings, birthdays,
graduations, parties, etc. It's hard to get things done if we're never home!

So with all that in mind, here's the biggest stress factor I'm currently experiencing: This baby is breech.

Breech.

What the #$%^? Of all the reasons to put my VBAC in jeapordy, he's breech?!? Everyone tells me not to worry. They all say, you've got a few weeks, I'm sure he'll turn. But he hasn't. I've tried the following:

1) Chiropractic care
2) Laying on an ironing board upside down
3) Frozen peas on the top of my uterus, warm towel down below
4) Positive thinking (This one has been the hardest, because I'm starting to
lose focus. I can't help but feel negative and hopeless.
5) Downward Dog yoga pose a few times a day.
6) Hypnobirthing classes which are supposed to help me focus and relax more.

Here's what I'm going to try over the next 2 weeks:

1) Accupuncture
2) Swimming and attempting handstands in the water (We'll see about that)
3) Prenatal yoga with an instructor (Mondays & Weds)
4) Hypnotherapy (It could help if I'm somehow subconsiously preventing him from
turning because I'm scared of vaginal birth thus ensuring a repeat
c-section... hmmm... could be.
5) Bring my yoga ball to work and use that as a chair instead of this stupid
chair I'm currently sitting on.

And if all of that still doesn't work... it will be down to my last resort:

1) External Version

These things aren't fun. They're not as painful as labor, but they're not comfortable and they don't have a great success rate. But, if it's either having a version or having a c-section - I'll take the version. And then, if it doesn't work, I'll take the c-section (grudgingly).

So here is where my venting kicks in. Why oh why? I feel like I did something wrong. Like maybe I gained too much weight. Or maybe I didn't exercise enough. Or maybe I didn't think the right thoughts. Or maybe I'm scared and mentally causing this. Or maybe I didn't start chiropractic care soon enough. Or maybe this or maybe that. Obviously this kind of thinking isn't helping matters. Hence, I'm taking this from my thoughts and putting it down in writing in an attempt to clear my head of such things.

Oh. And this kid still lacks a name.
Great.
He's breech and nameless.
Lovely.

6 comments:

DesiDVM said...

Man, that sucks. Oh, Rita, I really want this to happen for you! My best friend has a scheduled repeat c-section tomorrow after an emergency c-section with her May 06 baby...she tried and tried to find dr's in this area who would do VBACs and they flat out refused. She told me last night that she feels robbed in a way...I don't know what to say. Although it's cheesy and probably not very comforting she told me she has been saying the Serenity Prayer like 20 times a day this week because she's run out of options. That probably doesn't help but I pray for you that whatever happens you'll find peace in your own mind about it.
As someone who has seen acupuncture work miracles with animals I'm rooting for that!!

-Bridget said...

Oh, Rita! I'm so sorry you are going through all of that. I know how much a VBAC means for you. I know it won't change how you feel, but NONE of it is your fault. I really hope something works for you.

LauraC said...

Nate turned from vertex to breech at 36 weeks exactly. Ask me how comfortable that was with 12 lbs of baby in my stomach. It happened at the hospital when I was hooked up to fetal monitors. I was so close to puking from the discomfort. He always hated getting monitored and would do flips to get away from the monitor. Perhaps you could try some fetal monitoring? :)

My yoga teacher had me do cat stretches also. And talking to him, which helped ME more than visualization. I poured out all the reasons I needed for him to turn, it was pretty cathartic.

posthipchick said...

I have no experience in this one, but I am quite certain that you have done NOTHING to cause this. Do not fall into the trap of blaming yourself- there is really no cause of breech babies, just like there is no cause of an umbilical cord wrapping around a baby's neck... it just happens. Do what you can to change it, but please, do not blame yourself! You are doing a great job being pregnant.

Angela said...

Check out www.spinningbabies.com

Here's hoping he turns! (And gets a name, lol!!)

Katie said...

Rita, Just wanted to tell you that my sister had a version with her son. He was probably already 8lbs by that point since he was almost 1o and birth. Anyway, it was successful! So I am sending positive flipping vibes your way! And just some reassurance that recovery from a 2nd c-section with a toddler isn't that bad.

My little family

My little family
Mama bear, Papa bear & Xaelen bear

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
I'm gLobey, also known as Rita, also known as Mama. I'm a married mother of two awesome boys named Xaelen (age 3) and Quillan (9 months). They are super cute! My other half is Adazm, he's quite cute too.

My Blog List