Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mission Accomplished! Quillan is here!

IT turned out to be the real deal! After I wrote the last post, I continued to time things and they were getting more intense and coming about 7 minutes apart. I took a shower, got my parents to pick up Xaelen, finishing packing up some last minute belongings, called my doula and told her we'd be heading on over. Around 11pm we arrived at Doula Dawn's house. I labored on her couch for a while and then decided the jacuzzi was a much better place to be. I got in and the pain certainly became more manageable but still quite intense. The problem once again, as it was with Xaelen, is I was experiencing a tremendous amount of back pain. This one wasn't posterior, but his was cocked to the side a bit making each contraction more intense then it otherwise would have been.

Around 2am, I proclaimed that I think I was ready to go to the hospital. I think I would have stayed in the water the entire laboring process, but I was so scared of having to go the hospital in the middle of transition or even worse, as I was birthing. I was still more or less hanging in, so I figured now would be a good time to go. Our doula's house was just 6 minutes from the hospital, making it a quick journey for us. We arrived at the hospital, and the walk from the car to admissions was the LONGEST WALK EVER!

We arrived at Labor and Delivery, and they had no rooms available at the moment! Ack! I was asked to sit in the waiting room while they cleaned one up for us. Oh my goodness. There were no couches, just 6 hard chairs. While we waited, I had about 5 or 6 surges. I just kept breathing through them and reminding myself "I can do anything for just 1 minute". That was my mantra through each and every surge I had during the labor. After about 15 or so minutes, I was brought to my labor room and checked.

After an internal exam, I heard the words I so desperately didn't want to hear. I had only progressed to 2 cm. Holy crap! I couldn't believe it. I had been laboring so hard, I was sure that I had made more progress. I had already made a deal with myself. If they told me I was 0 or 1, I would immediately ask for a c-section. Obviously, my cervix was too scarred and would never open. If I was a 2 or 3, I would ask for an epidural, and if I was a 4 or more, I would just keep on truckin'. Based on that deal, I was on the verge of tears and told my doula - I think I need meds. I really didn't want to have a medicated birth, but it was more important for me to have a VBAC than it was to have a non-medicated birth. And with the epidural, I felt that perhaps I would still have a chance.

At 3:30am my water broke, at 4:00am I got my epidural, and at 4:30am I was checked again. The next statement made my whole world spin. The nurse exclaimed "You're between a 6 or 7". Oh my goodness! I was elated! In just over an hour I went from 2 to almost 7! It could have been the water breaking, it could have been the epidural, but whichever it was - it was magic! I rested as much as I could from that point on. The epidural was light enough for me to still feel the surges, although they were just tightening sensations rather than pain. The epidural was also strong enough to allow me some much needed rest.

About 2 hours, and a little bit of a catnap later, I was checked again. I was at 9! It was probably around 7am at this point. We did a couple of practice pushes while he was checking me. It was amazing! By this point my epidural seemed to be wearing away. I could feel my legs and the surges to some extent. About 2 hours later I was complete! I was at 10! Who knew I could dilate to 10!

I pushed with the help of my wonderful Dr. Biter, my doula Dawn, my nurse Julie and Adam. Pushing probably took around an hour. With my last push, out came my very BIG baby! Unfortunately, he was also covered in meconium and therefore needed to be rushed away from me in order to help him breathe. So here is a little about his stats:

He was 9lbs 14oz (if he hadn't passed meconium he might have been the full 10lbs!)
He was 20.5 inches long
He looks like a little Xaelen, only with darker hair and slightly more smooshed head.

I feel super human! I pushed a baby (a BIG baby) out of my vagina!!!! And I didn't tear!

We're home today, 26 hours after I delivered. I feel good, although quite sore. My bum hurts, my vagina hurts, and my uterus is cramping up like crazy. It's all par for the course though. I feel super accomplished and super tired.. And with that, I'm going to try and take a nap!

17 comments:

posthipchick said...

HOORAY!!! Do we get to find out the name?

-Bridget said...

Yea! Yea! Yea! I'm SO happy for you Rita! That is beyond awesome! Contgrats on your big bundle of joy!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Rita! What a story! I'm so thrilled that you were able to have your VBAC. Yay!! :)

Joanna said...

Rita - This is the second morning in a row that I tearing up with joy for you. I am so happy that the VBAC worked and that your big boy is doing great. I'm really amazed that you did tear, that's great!

I'd like to give you a piece of advice that the pedi gave me when Michael was born at 9 lb 14 oz. He said, "Remember, he's an infant, just because he looks like he's 3 months old, doesn't mean he should be treated that way." I had to remind several people of that in Michael's first few months.

Maria said...

Yeah Rita! Great job with your big boy! Hope you are both feeling well.

Beth said...

Holy Wow Rita! Congratulations!!!!! I can't believe you pushed out an almost-10-pound baby and didn't tear. On top of this being a VBAC delivery! How awesome. You're my hero. Can't wait to hear how Xaelen is adjusting, and how things are going. Hugs to you and Quillan!

Sandra said...

I am so happy for you!!

LauraC said...

AWESOME!!!! CONGRATS!!!! You are freaking superwoman for birthing a 10lb baby as a VBAC. YAY YAY YAY.

Can't wait to see pics! I am so glad you got the birth you wanted.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS RITA!!! I'm so THRILLED for you!

Mountain Mom said...

Congratulations!! Holy cow, that's a big baby! :) So glad you both are doing well.

Kaycee said...

YAY Rita!!!! I almost cried reading that (and I don't cry at birth announcements) I'm so proud of you and that you got your VBAC! Enjoy your little man, can't wait to see pics!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! So excited for you!! He sounds just perfect and I cannot wait to see pictures of him. Congrats on the VBAC! You have given hope to so many women! :)

Lindsay said...

I'm so happy for you, Rita! I think you were very smart throughout your process, and that makes me proud of you!

Karen said...

What an awesome birth story!! I am so happy that you were able to have your VBAC and that it went so well.

Steph said...

Congrats Rita- I'm so happy that everything worked out so well for you and Quillan!

DesiDVM said...

That. Is. The. Best. Birth. Story. EVER!! I'm so happy for you guys. You're my new hero - almost 10 lbs?!? That's almost like carrying twins -- no wonder you gained more weight, LOL. You're my official Supermom of the Year.

It sounds like you had a wonderful birth experience, and the epidural probably helped relieve some of the stress and trauma. My bum hurts just reading your story.

Karla said...

Congratulations RIta! I am glad that everyone is healthy and that you were able to have the VBAC you so desired!!

My little family

My little family
Mama bear, Papa bear & Xaelen bear

About Me

My photo
San Diego, California, United States
I'm gLobey, also known as Rita, also known as Mama. I'm a married mother of two awesome boys named Xaelen (age 3) and Quillan (9 months). They are super cute! My other half is Adazm, he's quite cute too.

My Blog List